Saturday, May 12 –
It was so beautiful outside this weekend that we finally got to have a potluck on the back deck. That’s an instant win, if you ask me. Plus we had ZombieMode (guacamole and chips), Bestie Extraordinaire (black bean soup with avocado cumin cream and plantains), CurlyCue (wine), Hot Momma (mojitos), RubsWithLove (wine), Sir VJ (seared beef with onion and tomato stew), and I made shrimp tacos with chipotle coleslaw.
The shrimp tacos with chipotle coleslaw were spicy and delicious. The shrimp were soft and firm, the coleslaw crunchy and spicy, all wrapped in freshly made tortillas from the market down the street. Making this recipe was incredibly easy. If you like shrimp tacos that are spicy, this is definitely a good recipe for you! The black bean soup with avocado cumin cream and plantains served over rice was warm, filling, and a great combination of flavors. The mojitos were perfect for the hot weather, made with crushed raspberries for extra summer-flavor kick. I didn’t get a chance to try the beef with the stew thanks to my crohn’s, but it disappeared very quickly so I’m going to assume it was amazing. It certainly smelled mouthwatering!
The next bunch of dinners are back to the regular dinner format (I cook and guests bring drinks). We don’t have another potluck until we hit the D countries. And… we are almost to a year of doing this! How amazing is that? Come July, this adventure will officially be almost a quarter of the way over. That’s just crazy to think about. And I still love it! (And my honey still let’s me get crazy with our dinners!)
(recipe borrowed from the cooks at: www.mycolombianrecipes.com – the other two recipes are made by yours truly!)
Shrimp Tacos with Chipotle Slaw
- 24 medium shrimp, peeled and de-veined
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 8 tortillas
- 1 lime
- ½ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 3 cups cabbage, thinly sliced
- 2 cups carrot, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons grated onion
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 3 teaspoons chipotle pepper
1. To make the slaw: In a medium bowl combine the mayonnaise, heavy cream, chipotle pepper and salt.
2. Add the cabbage, carrots and onions to the mayo mixture and mix well. Set aside.
3. In a medium bowl mix the cumin, olive oil, lime juice, salt and pepper. Add the shrimp and toss to coat.
4. Place the shrimp in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook for about 2 minutes on each side or until the shrimp are cooked.
5. To serve, spoon chipotle slaw on the tortilla, then top with shrimp and fresh cilantro.
- 3 avocados – peeled, pitted, and mashed
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 2 handfuls chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 roma (plum) tomatoes, diced
- 4 cloves minced garlic
- pepper, to taste
- 1 pinch ground cayenne pepper (optional)
Directions: Hand smash the avocado in a bowl, leaving some chunks for scooping. Mix in the lime juice. Then add finely diced onion and tomato. Mix in the chopped cilantro, garlic, salt, and pepper (and cayenne if you’re using it). Voila!
- 1 wedge of lime
- 4 mint leaves
- 4 raspberries
- 2 oz. white Rum
- 2 ounces club soda
Directions: Place the mint leaves and raspberries into a glass and squeeze the juice from a wedge of lime over it. Gently smash the mint and raspberries into the lime juice with a muddler or the top tip of a wooden spoon. Add ice then add the rum and stir, and top off with the club soda.