Thursday, July 18 –
This dinner was just BestestFianceEver and I again, so I had to modify the recipe. I put a chopped up quarter of an onion into a hot pan with a drizzle of oil. I let that cook until it was starting to soften. Then I added some chopped garlic and ginger, then sprinkled on some paprika, saffron, nutmeg, salt, and pepper. I let that warm up with the onion and fill the house with yummy smells. Then I put two chicken breasts in the middle of the pan and let them brown on both sides. Once they were browned I poured in some chicken broth, covered the pan, and let it simmer for about ten minutes (flipping the breasts once). When they were almost done I took the lid off, added the lemon rind, and let the broth simmer down.
We were really late for dinner to I just chopped up some prunes and dried apricots and added those to packaged steamable rice. When it was done in the microwave I added slivered almonds, stirred the whole thing, and added it to the plates. I know this cut out some of the ingredients, but that was just the hurried decision I made. With salad on the side, dinner was ready.
The chicken was nice and juicy but a little bland. I probably didn’t get enough of the seasoning onto the onion mixture. The rice was a good way to soak up the broth and the veggies. And the salad was a perfect way to start the meal. All in all, it gets a thumbs up.
(recipes borrowed from the cooks at: www.cookadvice.com)
Kazakh Lemon Chicken
- 1 T olive oil
- 2 Whole chickens (3-lbs ea)
- 2 t Ground ginger
- 1 t Paprika
- 3 Cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Large onions, chopped
- 1⁄4 t saffron
- 1⁄2 t Nutmeg
- 2 t Salt
- 2 T Black pepper Fresh grnd.
- 2 c chicken stock
- 1 c Green olives chopped without pimientos
- 4 T Lemon rinds minced
Cooking Kazakh Lemon Chicken
1. Heat olive oil in a roasting pan and place chickens, breast down in the pan. Combine ginger, paprika, garlic, onion, nutmeg, saffron, salt pepper in a bowl.
2. Rub this mixture onto the chickens and season to taste with Add enough water to cover chickens halfway.
3. Cook on High heat until boiling.
4. Remove pan from heat and place in 400 degree F. oven. Bake, uncovered, for 30 mins.
5. Turn chickens continue baking until tender golden brown, approx.
6. 25 mins.
7. Move chickens to serving platter.
8. Place pan on stove top bring the chicken juices to a boil.
9. Add olives and lemon rind.
10. Reduce heat to Low simmer 5 minutes.
11. Spoon sauce over chickens serve.
- 1 1⁄2 c Rice
- 1⁄3 c Slivered almonds
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 Med. onion chopped
- 1⁄2 c Chopped dates pitted
- 1⁄3 c Chopped prunes pitted
- 3 Dried apricots; chopped
- 1 T Salt
- 1 c Lamb finely ground – cooked
- 1 T Vegetable oil
Cooking Kazakh rice
1. Mix the lamb, almonds, fruits, onion, salt, and garlic in a large bowl.
2. Cook the rice until almost done.
3. Be sure to add the oil to the rice as it cooks.
4. Do not drain! Add the lamb mixture and finish cooking the rice.
5. Serve as a side dish or as main course.
6. This is an easy dish that is a palate pleaser.