Friday, September 20 –
And a photo. Hooray!
Hopefully the chaos will simmer down now and I can get back on track with these dinners. Laos is going to happen tomorrow. Yay!
(recipe borrowed from the cooks at: www.kyrgyzchildrensfuture.org)
Kuurdak (Chyz-Byz) – (Stewed Brown Meat)
- 2 lbs meat (beef, lamb or mutton — traditionally was organ meat) cut into small chunks
- 4 onions, peeled and sliced
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil (or mutton fat)
- 3 green bell peppers, seeded and julienned
- 1 cup cabbage, julienned
- 1/2 tsp ground red pepper
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 cups water (approximately)
- 2 Tbs tomato paste
In large pan, fry the meat in vegetable oil or fat until browned, about 10-15 minutes. Add sliced onion, green peppers cut in circles, cabbage, ground red pepper, black pepper, salt, bay leaves, water, and tomato paste. Simmer in partially covered pan until water absorbed and ingredients are soft, about 30-45 minutes. Remove bay leaves. Serve hot.